Official Guidelines for the 2019 Josie Music Awards as determined by The Josie Network of Brands
Explanation of Categories:
- The Josie Music Awards will continue to enhance and tighten the guidelines year by year to align fully with the majors. This progression in your career and our guidelines will ensure you have all the tools to move your career further if that is the path you choose. We can not guarantee your success on any level, that is up to you. However, we can require year by year all the items that could get you noticed by major organizations.
- Awards such as The Lifetime Musical Achievement Award and the Josie Show Humanitarian Award are awarded by The Josie Network and is not part of the nomination process.
- Promotion Company of the Year for promotion companies that handle all areas of promotion.
- The Junior category Artist of the Year (ages 6-12) is an all-genre award. The Artist of the Year nominees will have at least 1 original song.
- The Young Adult category (ages 13-17) is all-genre. The Artist of the Year nominees will have at least 1 original song.
- Age overrides all categories except Video of the Year, Song of the Year, Musician of the Year, Tribute Artist of the Year, and World Categories. Those few categories are the exception to the age requirements. Current age at time of nomination is what determines categories that an artist is allowed to be entered in (not the age an artist was when they recorded, etc.)
- Junior and Young Adult categories where a band is considered the age group the band is placed in will be determined by the age of most of the players.
- Vocalist of the Year will be awarded based on vocal talent only (vocalist of the year do NOT need to have an original song).
- Song of the Year categories are awarded to the artist and songwriters. Song of the Year categories must be submitted for review by the vocalist on the song or one of the songwriters. Song of the Year will not be a suggested by fans category.
- Songwriter of the Year category is reviewed by a songwriters full body of work (not based on just a single song) . Songwriter must have songs recorded by other artists. If you write and record your own songs only then complete a form for individual song(s).
- Song of the Year must have the work released in 2018 or 2019 prior to the end of April to be considered. Unless, they are currently in high rotation on Country Blast Radio (these will also qualify). Songs must be fully released by an independent artist and not be a demo. Demos will not be considered in this category in 2019. Demos will only be considered in the Songwriter Song of the Year Category that was added for 2019.
- A Songwriter Song of the Year category will be added for 2019. In this category songwriters can submit one song of any genre (demos allowed). Songwriter will be awarded.
- Songs or albums that have previously won in Song of the Year or Album of the Year may not be re-nominated. A winning Video of the Year can not be re-nominated.
- Video of the Year must be no older than 2 years old from date of nominations opening (April 2017 - April 30, 2019) to qualify. Videos that are a scroll of still photographs or are self made do not qualify for this award. Prior video of the year winning videos do not qualify again.
- Duo/Group of the Year is a constant working together relationship. A one time project would fall under the Best Collaboration category.
- Best collaboration category (all genre) must feature voices of all those mentioned in collaboration. Song entrance must be released in 2018 or 2019 by end of April to be considered and the song may not be a former Josie Music Awards winner. Writing collaborations with one vocalist will be considered only under Song of the Year if it meets those guidelines.
- In the Country categories the Rising Star nominees are not eligible for Artist of the Year or Entertainer of the Year. Rising Star nominees are eligible for all other categories.
- Female Artist of the Year and Male Artist of the Year must have at least 1 album or EP (containing a minimum of 4 songs to be nominated in this category) and/or an excessive amount of LIVE performance tour dates/career length and/or be a former Josie Music Award Winner.
- Rising Star nominees must have at least 1 original song.
- Entertainer of the Year for all genre categories is determined by the quantity and quality of LIVE performances, stage presence, and crowd interaction. Reviewers will study the amount of performances in the last year 18 months, states performed in, venues performed in, stage presence, and more. Some genres will require additional items/areas to be reviewed.
- World categories will include music in multiple languages.
- Versatile/Tribute Artists will be awarded to artists that work as a tribute artist at least 50% of the time.
- Record Label of the Year nominees must be a licensed business and have at least a minimum of 3 artists signed to their label to be included. Those artists may be contacted by our company during the review process.
- All business categories may be asked to show a business license during the review or submission process to be included. Businesses that are not licensed will be disqualified or moved into another category if available.
- Record Label, Management Companies, and Promotion Companies of the year nominees must have at least 3 artists signed to their LICENSED company and be in operation for a minimum of 1 year. Must be able to find a website on the company to verify clients (social media pages will not count as websites).
- Music Producer of the Year or Video Production of the Year must have ample experience in producing music/creating videos for others outside of their own music if they are a music artist as well.
- Nominee decisions and award winner selection is reviewed and finalized by a panel of industry leaders who will remain anonymous to ensure the integrity of this process.
- As the categories continue to grow, the rules and guidelines that currently apply may change for future award shows.
- The Fan Choice Award will be the only award determined by Fans.
- The Album of the Year Award for all genre categories must have the album released by the end of April 2019 and may not be older than 1/1/18 for that album to be considered, a full review of the album must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to The Josie Music Awards; P.O. Box 8017; Bartlett, IL 60103 by end of April 2019.
- In 2019 EPs and Albums will have separate categories. An EP shall contain 3-6 songs to be considered. An album must have 7 or more songs to be considered in the album vs the EP category. If your EP has less than 3 songs then the songs must be considered in the Song of the Year category only.
- Using special software or building of bots to send your name in multiple times through non-existent email or fake email addresses will get you eliminated from the Josie Music Awards. Each entry will be verified. Artists, songwriters, music industry businesses only need to submit each category once to be reviewed in that category.
- If we are unable to find any current works during our review period your name will be eliminated.
- Rising Star and Artist of the Year categories: Artists that have been through a major music competition, have excessive live performances, or have already won a Josie Music Award in prior years are eligible for the higher of the two categories. This is the panel's final judgement.
- A 2019 JMA requirement: All nominees must have an official website (websites can be created for free on sites like weebly). Social media pages will not count as an official website. Website must be updated and current with appropriate content.
- A genre/category will remain or be added only if it has a minimum of 5 nominees. Combinations may apply if a category has less than 5 nominees. A genre will not be added if there are less than 5 potential nominees.
- Submissions of yourself or your work will be accepted in March 2019 by filling out the submission form on our website for review. Suggestions by fans will be accepted in April 2019 for select categories. Self submissions will be reviewed first and take precedence over fan suggestions in regards to space availability in genres/categories. This process for 2019 along with the necessary acknowledgements will keep category size to an acceptable level by the Josie Network standards.
- Review details/scorecards are not shared with nominees or potential nominees.
- As genres grow more award categories will be added.
- The 2019 Josie Music Awards potential nominees will need to send back an acknowledgement of their nomination notice to be included in the final list. If you submit your work or yourself for review then keep watch of next steps. Acknowledging your nomination, keeping posted of upcoming deadlines and events is the nominees responsibility.
- All nomination and winning decisions are FINAL. No comments or feedback will be shared with nominees, winners, attendees, fans, family, friends, etc.
Rules and Guidelines are subject to change without advanced notice by The Josie Network of Brands owners.
All Rules and Guidelines are final and determined by The Josie Network of Brands owners.
Internet radio stations and/or indie businesses working with other indie awards shows do not qualify to participate in The Josie Music Awards.